(EMT) $14.88 - $27.39 an hour     $37,140.48 - $68,365.44 a year|
JOB CODE: (007290)
BENEFITS:Annual leave and sick leave; paid holidays; medical and life insurance; tuition reimbursement after six (6) months of employment. The first four (4) weeks of employment are spent in advanced training at forty (40) hours per week; upon completion, employees are assigned to a station and a forty-eight (48) hour work week, with a three (3) week Kelly Day.
To become a Firefighter with the City of Tampa, the following requirements must be met:
- Minimum eighteen (18) years of age.
- Lawful to work in US (for unlimited duration).
- Possess a high school diploma (or) an equivalency certificate issued by a State Board of Education.
- Possess a valid driver’s license (must have a Florida license upon hire).
- Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance.
- Current State of Florida EMT-Basic (or) Paramedic Certificate.
- Current CPR (and) (or) ACLS Card.
- Current CPAT (and) FireTEAM from the National Testing Network (NTN).
- A non-user of tobacco or tobacco products for at least one (1) year prior to application. Continue to be a non-user of tobacco or tobacco products while on or off duty for the duration of employment with the department (per F.S. 633.34 and International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Bargaining Agreement, Article 27.5, as evidenced by a sworn affidavit of the applicant).
- No tattoo or decal (nor any portion) shall be visible to the public while wearing an approved departmental uniform.
- Successfully pass a background investigation, driving record check, psychological evaluation, polygraph examination, and a medical examination that includes drug testing.
- Obtain Florida Paramedic Certification within three (3) years of employment. Failure to provide proof of and maintain active enrollment in a State of Florida approved Paramedic program within 24 months of employment will result in termination.
Requirements for out-of-state applicants:
If you received your Firefighter training in another state, contact the Florida State Fire College in Ocala to learn how to become certified in the State of Florida (www.floridastatefirecollege.org).
If you received your EMT or Paramedic training in another state, contact the State of Florida EMS Office in Tallahassee to learn how to become certified in the State of Florida (www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/ems/).
To be considered for employment as a Firefighter with the City of Tampa follow these steps:
1. COMPLETE CPAT & FIRETEAM: Prior to submitting an application for employment as a Firefighter, you must successfully complete both the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) and the FireTEAM assessments. The National Testing Network (NTN) offers both CPAT and FireTEAM. To learn more about CPAT and FireTEAM and to sign up for testing go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com. Tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays. During the registration process, make certain you select City of Tampa to receive your test results; upon completion of CPAT and FireTEAM your test results will automatically be forwarded to us.
2. COMPLETE THE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION: Employment applications are not accepted until CPAT and FireTEAM are successfully completed. Once successfully completed, log onto www.tampagov.net/jobs and fill out the application for employment. Be certain to complete all sections of the application. All information provided on your application (as well as in all other phases of the employment process) must be true, accurate, up-to-date, and without omission.
3. SUBMIT YOUR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS: Legible copies of the documents must be submitted at the time of application. Applications are not processed until all required documents have been received by Employment Services. Applicants who successfully complete these steps will have their application forwarded to Tampa Fire Rescue for further consideration.
- Birth Certificate.
- High-School Diploma (or) Equivalency Certificate.
- Valid Driver’s License (must possess a Florida license upon hire).
- State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance (www.floridastatefirecollege.org).
- State of Florida EMT-Basic (or) Paramedic Certificate (www.doh.state.fl.us).
- CPR (or) ACLS card.
- CPAT/Fire Team Certificate (www.nationaltestingnetwork.com).
- Seven (7) Year Driving History (Florida residents www.flhsmv.gov).
- College Diploma (and/or) Transcript.
- Department of Defense Form 214 (Military Discharge Long Form) stating “Character of Service” (www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records)
- Veteran’s Compensable Service-Connected Disability Rating.
EXAMINATIONS: Evaluation of training and experience; CPAT (pass/fail; scores valid one year from testing date); FireTEAM (take assessment; no minimum score required); driving record check; background investigation; polygraph examination; psychological evaluation; pre-employment medical with drug testing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 5, 2013.
TO APPLY: Applicants may apply online as well as in person. Applications will be received and processed in the Employment Services Office, City Hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd., 2nd Floor, (corner of Kennedy Blvd. and Florida Avenue). Preference in appointment will be extended to eligible veterans and, in some instances, spouses of eligible veterans. To receive Veterans Preference, documentation of status must be submitted at the time of application.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
7/5/2013 will not be processed.