(S22) $70,262.40 - $105,268.80 a year|
JOB CODE: 005104
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: This position serves as the Planning Section Head for the City of Tampa's Wastewater Department. The Planning Section Head is responsible for performing engineering work of unusual difficulty and supervising assigned staff to perform a variety of duties related to wastewater system planning, assest management, wastewater permitting, and growth management.
Related duties assigned to the Planning Section include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and maintaining the Department's asset management program used to determine long and short-term capital improvement plans.
- Initiating, managing, and evaluating condition assessments and performing engineering analysis of the wastewater system to identify and prioritize capital improvement needs.
- Developing scopes and preliminary cost estimates for related projects.
- Identifying, initiating, and managing studies of the wastewater system performed by consultants.
- Managing and preparing the Department's annual capital improvement budget.
- Managing the processing of applications for wastewater service and related permit activities for new projects connecting to the City’s wastewater system. These duties include managing personnel to work with customers, developers, and engineers with processing wastewater permit applications; performing engineering analysis to determine the availability of service; determining the conditions and required improvements to provide wastewater service to the project; consulting with engineers and developers and representing the Department at meetings related to these projects.
- Supervising the review of related construction plans prepared by professional engineering consultants to ensure compliance with City standards, field inspection of construction and resolving construction conflicts.
- Performing various duties required by the City of Tampa’s and Hillsborough County's growth and management programs. The duties include supervising the review and performance of engineering analysis needed to prepare Department responses to petitions to rezone property, release of easement petitions, petitions to vacate City and County right of-ways, comprehensive plan amendments, and developer agreements; managing the development and review of wastewater master plans needed to provide service to new areas; ensuring that the Department meets the requirements of the City's and County’s comprehensive plan.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of the assigned area of engineering; federal, state, and municipal rules, regulations, ordinances, and other pertinent documents.
- Knowledge of engineering and administrative management procedures, practices, and methods.
- Knowledge of supervisory techniques.
- Ability to plan, organize, assign, direct, supervise, and review the work of others engaged in a variety of engineering assignments.
- Ability to analyze plans, specifications, and other technical materials and draw sound conclusions.
- Ability to organize in report form and present sound recommendations effectively, both orally and in writing; train others in the assigned area; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the public.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in the assigned area, and five (5) years progressively responsible related experience, including three (3) years supervisory experience. Note: An acceptable transcript of college coursework/credits may be requested.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment medical examinations.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 21, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/21/2013 will not be processed.