(030) $20.87 - $29.62 an hour     $43,409.60 - $61,609.60 a year|
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for scheduling inspections and monitoring industrial and commercial use of the cityís sewer system for compliance with the municipal sewer ordinance.
- Participates in planning technical programs that support the operation of an advanced wastewater treatment facility.
- Performs highly technical tasks related to laboratory testing, wastewater monitoring, and the regulation of industrial facilities.
- Conducts field surveys or investigations to collect/verify information/evidence, resolve complaints, assess impact of service.
- Conducts inspections of industrial and commercial facilities.
- Investigates the source of pollutants in the sewer system in order to take corrective action.
- Participates in periodic sample collection and inspection of industrial effluents and pre-treatment systems for proper operation.
- Participates in periodic sample collection at the cityís advanced wastewater treatment facility and sites in the sewer system.
- Performs analyses and records information; prepares and maintains reports and records for assigned tasks.
- Ensures compliance with safety procedures and inspects equipment for conformance to safety standards and security requirements.
- Performs general maintenance on sampling and flow measuring equipment including routine, mechanical, and electrical repair of equipment, particularly on an emergency basis.
- Calibrates and makes operational adjustments to various types of laboratory and field sampling equipment.
- Develops databases and spreadsheets to facilitate data management.
- Enters/retrieves data to maintain accurate and complete records.
- Prepares graphs, tables, charts, and written reports.
- Performs arithmetic/mathematical calculations for work projects.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and equipment used in wastewater treatment operations and maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of facilities, equipment and operating practices related to a wastewater treatment plant and sewer system.
- Considerable knowledge of water quality monitoring procedures.
- Working knowledge of occupational hazards, appropriate precautions, and methods of promoting safety among subordinates.
- Working knowledge of practices, methods, materials, and tools of the mechanical trades.
- Ability to calibrate and make operational adjustments to laboratory and sampling equipment.
- Ability to conduct basic laboratory tests; maintain records and prepare clear and concise reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school supplemented by two years of university level course work in engineering, chemistry, or biology and one (1) year of related work experience; OR, graduation from an accredited high school with three (3) years of wastewater field services or operations experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida Driverís License.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment medical examinations.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 21, 2013. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/21/2013 will not be processed.