(026) $17.81 - $25.34 an hour     $37,044.80 - $52,707.20 a year|
APPLICANTS MUST BE A CURRENT CITY OF TAMPA EMPLOYEE.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for receiving and dispatching requests for police and fire emergency services.
- Receives and screens incoming communications from citizens, depending on assignment.
- Answers telephone complaints and requests pertaining to police, fire or other emergency services.
- Operates two-way radio dispatching equipment to assign calls to units.
- Maintains records and prepares reports as required.
- Operates video data terminal
- Dispatches units over a two-way radio.
- Participates in the training of lower-level communications personnel.
- Monitors the progress of the probationary employee on a daily and weekly basis.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, which include nights, weekends, and holidays
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to handle multiple roles that must be assumed during the program.
- Ability to function as a communications officer and as a trainer.
- Ability to maintain his or her performance level as a dispatcher and is not relieved of these responsibilities during training.
- Ability to quickly assume the role of a communications officer as needed.
- Ability to be a positive role model.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance, adhering to rules and regulations.
- Ability to have a positive attitude toward the department, program, job and training.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, which include nights, weekends, and holidays.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school or vocational-school graduation and one (1) year experience in computer-aided dispatching or public safety communications work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possession of NAED/NAEMD Certification as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, your application must be received or postmarked by the closing date of September 18, 2013; applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
9/18/2013 will not be processed.