(S10) $44,116.80 - $66,081.60 a year|
JOB CODE: 380700
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform duties involving supervising routine and specialized residential and commercial refuse collection tasks in a designated area.
- Coordinating the assignment of refuse collection vehicles and equipment for daily use.
- Implementing and overseeing the ongoing development and presentation of mandated divisional safety programs to meet City of Tampa requirements.
- Inspecting collection tasks being performed daily to ensure proper operation of equipment and adherence to work methods, standards and safety practices.
- Using independent judgment to provide supervision and leadership to department personnel under the span of control.
- Receiving and logging customer service concerns into a computer based data service system and taking appropriate action.
- Determining whether correct service charges for businesses and apartment houses are being assessed.
- Evaluating work unit procedures and making adjustments to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Preparing and presenting oral reports, written reports, annual performance evaluations, data analysis reports, written safety record reports.
- Participating in efficiency studies, helping establish efficient routes, implementing cost saving strategies, monitoring customer service delivery and directly supervising 21 team members.
- Interpreting collection rules and regulations.
- Supervising subordinate employees.
- Providing timely guidance and feedback to assist subordinate employees and strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish tasks or resolve concerns.
- Responding to vehicle accident investigations, workers compensation and property damage claims.
- Completing accident and injury reports.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of industry safety standards pertaining solid waste collection operations.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, techniques, and equipment used in a variety of refuse removal activities.
- Knowledge of the city, its geography and street networks.
- Knowledge of the operation and care of vehicles and equipment utilized in solid waste activities.
- Knowledge of vehicle maintenance scheduling techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of effective supervisory techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of construction, assembly, and maintenance requirements of diversified refuse collection vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials, supplies, tools, and equipment stored and/or used in solid waste operations.
- Knowledge of clerical and financial record keeping as employed in warehousing operations.
- Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and review the work of subordinate employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare concise oral and written business reports including but not limited to: annual performance evaluations, data analysis reports, written safety record reports.
- Intermediate working knowledge of word processing computing concepts, components and operations.
- Intermediate working knowledge of spreadsheet computing concepts, components and operations.
- Intermediate decision making skills to manage workloads, conflicts, personnel issues.
- Ability to utilize Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to manage resources accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS: High-school or vocational-school graduation and three (3) years progressively responsible experience in a solid waste operation, including six (6) months supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License, Class “B” with Air Brakes. (Submit photocopy of CDL with application.)Ability to obtain NIMS levels 100, 200 and 700 and HAZWOPER and SWANA (Solid Waste Association of North America) certifications within 6 months of employment.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Position open until further notice.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.