(027) $18.91 - $26.91 an hour     $39,332.80 - $55,972.80 a year|
APPLICANTS MUST BE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH THE CITY OF TAMPA WATER DEPARTMENT.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform highly technical work involving the operation and production of potable drinking water at a Class A State licensed drinking water production facility that provides approximately 82 million gallons per day of potable water.
- Conducting tests during the water treatment process to ensure compliance with various Federal and State guidelines.
- Performing minor plant maintenance to ensure the continued operation of the treatment facility.
- Monitoring and controlling the operation of the facility via the SCADA computer system.
- Starting/stopping of pumps to maintain pressure and flow in the plant and distribution system.
- Adjusting of chemical feed systems to maintain water quality.
- Preparing daily operational reports required by regulation.
- Performing chemical analysis for chlorine, pH, turbidity, hardness and other water quality parameters hourly to insure water quality.
- Performing inspections on process equipment to insure proper operation and responding to emergencies.
- Performing utility maintenance tasks.
- Inspecting and cleaning raw water intake screens.
- Collecting samples from the reservoir and spraying copper sulfate to control taste and odor causing algae.
- Performing related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of water treatment operation principles, practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of treatment chemistry of ground and surface waters.
- Knowledge of chemical handling and safety pertaining to potable water production.
- Knowledge of OSHA standards and policies, Federal and State regulatory requirements for water treatment parameters under the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Knowledge of chemical feed systems, pumps and associated equipment.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, materials and tools of the mechanical trades.
- Ability to conduct basic laboratory tests.
- Ability to create and maintain appropriate records and prepare and submit clear and concise operational reports.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Skill in operating and maintaining equipment utilized in water treatment operations.
High-school graduation, supplemented by course work in theories and principles of water treatment operations at the Class “B” level and one (1) year related work experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid Florida Class “C” Drinking Water Treatment Plant Operator’s License; ability to obtain a Florida Class “B” License within 18 months of employment. (Submit photocopy of Class "C" License with application.)
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 18 months, certification for Basic Mechanical Skills.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of January 16, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
1/16/2014 will not be processed.