(S16) $55,827.20 - $83,678.40 a year|
JOB CODE: 380700
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for planning, assigning, scheduling, supervising, and reviewing the work of subordinate technicians in conducting compliance inspections on major municipal building, civil, utility, and landscape construction projects.
- Confers with contractors or representatives regarding such matters as changes to plans, resolutions of problems and interpretation of plans and specifications; reviews drawings prepared/submitted by others to identify conflicts with actual field conditions/assure compliance with plans and specifications; advises subordinates on proper construction methods and procedures; provides assistance and direction in resolving technical problems involving unfamiliar work methods or concepts; explains departmental operating policies and procedures to subordinate employees, contractors and the general public; provides assistance in computing cost estimates; authorizes minor field changes and coordinates major changes with contractor and project engineer; reviews notes, reports, calculations, and other documents submitted by subordinates for accuracy, completeness and legibility; maintains on-going monitoring of contracts to ensure compliance with city regulations or requirements.
- Prepares/reviews preparation of payment requisitions; verifies computations on estimates submitted by subordinates and contractors; coordinates with utilities on such matters as service requirements, points of entry and easements; conducts field investigations, surveys and inspections to collect information/evidence when necessary.
- Performs and/or supervises office related activities; researches records and retrieves and assembles data; computes cost and time estimates of projects submitted by other city departments; reviews bids in order to recommend which ones should be accepted.
- Prepares and presents periodic reports orally and in writing on the status of construction projects; provides training and develops work method/procedure modifications to improve work output and/or quality of final product; initiates preparation of purchase requisitions for section supplies and equipment.
- Provides input for section budget including projecting the need for equipment and personnel; recommends such personnel actions as employments, promotions, transfers, demotions, suspensions, and dismissals; administers required discipline and responds to employee grievances; completes subordinate employees’ performance evaluations.
- Operates a lightweight motor vehicle for travel to work sites and cell phone or radio to communicate with others.
- Performs related work as required.
SPECIAL/PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- FDOT Local Agency Program (LAP) requirements.
- FHWA Construction Project Requirements.
- Federal statute requirements for federal-aid construction contract, including but not limited to, Davis-Bacon, Nondiscrimination, EEO, Affirmative Action, and DBE Modern construction, procedures, standards and requirements.
- Construction materials and equipment used in the building of highways, drainage, structures, control facilities, wastewater, water and storm water.
- Governmental customer service objectives and strategies
- MUTCD and proper maintenance of traffic.
- City ordinances relating to grading, drainage, street improvements, subdivisions, and land use regulations.
- Florida building codes and state laws relating to construction and disabled access regulations.
- Storm water pollution prevention best management practices.
- State, federal, and local statues, ordinances, policies, standards, and practices pertaining to construction and civil engineering.
- Construction project scheduling and analysis of CPM schedules.
- Proficient computer skills.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Perform QA/QC review of construction projects including compliance with Contract Documents, accepted construction standards, specifications, material testing requirements and procedures.
- Review proposed projects to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare technical correspondence and reports relating to assigned duties.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form.
- Establish effective working relationships with management, employees, employee representatives and contractors.
- Treat City employees, representatives of outside agencies and members of the public with courtesy and respect.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds and function calmly in situations which require a high degree of sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Serve as a supervisor of administration staff.
- Use computer software to document construction reviews, progress, and office administration.
QUALIFICATIONS:Graduation from an accredited high school with two years of college course work in engineering or related subjects and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in construction inspection with one (1) year in related supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY:To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of May 12, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
5/12/2014 will not be processed.