(019) $13.83 - $19.66 an hour     $28,766.40 - $40,892.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; long-term disability and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing various manual and semi-skilled tasks of average difficulty in construction, maintenance, and repair in the Wastewater Collections Division.
- Performs manual and semi-skilled laboring tasks related to construction, repair, and maintenance; cuts out streets and driveways; excavates, backfills and compacts excavated areas to facilitate manual repair.
- Locates utilities on the job or digs out utilities by hand with guidance.
- Performs simple measurements; interprets gauge and meter readings.
- Receives parts and materials from warehouse personnel.
- Transports materials, tools and equipment to and from job sites; setups and removes warning signs and traffic control devices with guidance.
- Assists with cleaning and upkeep of vehicles and maintains checklist; cleans work area.
- Operates the following: electronic utility locators; hand and power tools; small equipment such as walk behind rollers, tampers, saws; fire hydrants; gas detector equipment; and air compressors and generators.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Some knowledge: proper safety practices; proper use of hand signals for equipment operations; gas detector equipment; pipe sizes and materials; confined space; directional flow of collection systems or water distribution systems; communications equipment.
Ability to: read and write; understand and follow oral and written instructions; read and interpret road map; drive and work safely; perform work requiring physical strength; work in confined spaces; operate small equipment; work in a team atmosphere; be a selfstarter,try new ideas and acquire skill flexibility; communicate effectively; deal with and resolve conflict within a team; be courteous under pressure; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and general public.
Skill in: the use and care of basic hand and power tools; the use of small equipment; driving trucks.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school, technical or vocational school graduation.
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License. Submit copy of license with application.
For current Collections vacancies: possession of a valid Florida CDL Class “A” with Tanker within six (6) months of employment. Preference will be given to individuals who already possess the valid Florida CDL Class “A” with Tanker endorsement.
SPECIAL JOB DEMANDS: Selected individuals must be able to demonstrate the matrix skill level to qualify for Utility Technician Trainee within a 6-month period. Technicians may only remain in this classification for 12 months and must be able to demonstrate a matrix skill level to qualify for Utility Technician I within a 12-month period.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing. Selected applicant must pass a federal background check for Port of Tampa access.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of May 23, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4-29-14; 5-8-14 (360000)
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
5/23/2014 will not be processed.