(019) $13.83 - $19.66 an hour     $28,766.40 - $40,892.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform semi-skilled and heavy manual work involving the operation of a sanitation truck and oversight of its crew.
- Driving a sanitation truck to collect refuse on an assigned route and shift.
- Receiving instructions orally and in writing and performing tasks, which are of, average difficulty to include serving as lead worker.
- Cleaning and minor maintenance of residential truck and equipment.
- Overseeing activities of an assistant driver and/or collectors assigned to the truck.
- Collecting and hauling refuse from residential areas to the municipal refuse-to-energy plant or landfill.
- Fueling truck, checking tires, battery, oil, and water; washing or deodorizing trucks and containers when necessary.
- Training and instructing new collectors and drivers.
- Operating vehicle radio.
- Additional duties relating to the successful execution of this position will also be performed.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Working knowledge of:operation and maintenance characteristics of a residential rear- or side- loader truck and equipment; occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
Ability to: read, understand, and follow simple and specific oral and written instructions; perform semi-skilled manual tasks and, when required, operate complicated mechanisms requiring considerable coordination; perform work requiring physical strength and endurance, at times during inclement weather; interpret route maps; operate vehicle radio; supervise and assign work, as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with other.
Skill and ability to:operate a residential truck and equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum qualifications include completion of elementary school and one (1) year manual laborer experience with six (6) months experience driving heavy duty trucks and equipment. High School graduate is preferred.
Possession of a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class "B" with Air Brakes. (Submit a photocopy of the CDL with the application.)
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of June 26, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
6/26/2014 will not be processed.