(019) $13.83 - $19.66 an hour     $28,766.40 - $40,892.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
POSITION PURPOSE: The selected candidate will perform responsible work driving trucks and operating moderately complex and large custodial, and maintenance equipment within the Tampa Convention Center.
- Safely operates a variety of equipment including trucks, fork lifts, sweepers, motorized carts, and material transfer systems. transports people, materials, tools, and equipment to and from various locations within the Convention Center and the City. Operates motorized carts, lifts, and equipment to maintain facility and support various other sections.
- Operates moderately complex construction/maintenance equipment including light crane trucks for relocating and placing heavy items, maintainers for leveling and grading surfaces, pay-loaders and loader tractors for loading and excavating, and industrial/ agricultural tractors for cutting grass and clearing land; acts as relief operator on asphalt paving machine.
- Performs minor maintenance and servicing on vehicle/equipment being operated to include checking tire air pressure, motor oil, hydraulic oil, and fuel, and bleeding brake air tanks where required; visually checks vehicle/equipment and reports maintenance or repair problems at the beginning and the end of the workday; assures that vehicle is properly equipped, serviced, and cleaned.
- Performs manual and unskilled laboring tasks; uses hand tools and operates power tools either separately from or in conjunction with vehicle/equipment being operated.
- Operates specialty and more complex vehicles/equipment on a relief basis or in an on-the-job training capacity to acquire experience and develop skill and proficiency.
- Operates radio, pagers, cell telephone, etc. to communicate with necessary parties.
- Installs construction signs and barricades in order to re-route traffic; applies fertilizer and insecticide on city property in order to complete assigned duties.
- Completes periodic time/activity reports to document work.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of: operational and minor maintenance characteristics of heavy trucks(tractor/trailers) and moderately complex motorized construction/maintenance equipment; athletic field maintenance and or related grounds maintenance skills; traffic laws, occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
Some knowledge of: athletic field maintenance and or related grounds maintenance skills; the use and care of hand and power tools and equipment related to assigned areas; the city and its geography.
Ability to: perform work requiring physical strength and endurance; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; acquire skill and develop proficiency in the operation of specialty and complex motorized construction/maintenance equipment.
Skill and ability to demonstrate proficiency in: the operation of heavy trucks and/or moderately complex motorized construction/maintenance equipment.
Skill in: the use and care of hand and power tools related to assigned areas.
QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of elementary school and one (1) year experience in operating lightweight trucks and/or simple motorized construction and maintenance equipment, including formal training or six (6) months experience in operating heavy trucks and/or moderately complex construction and maintenance equipment.
Desirable Experience: Prefer candidates with 3 or more years’ experience in convention center(s), stadium, hotel, or other large hospitality venue setting.
Possession of a valid Florida Commercial Driver's License Class “B”. (Submit photocopy of the CDL with the application.)
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. A Supplemental Training & Experience Form must be submitted with the employment application.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of July 8, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
7/8/2014 will not be processed.