(N30) $44,595.20 - $66,788.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will initiate sales and perform sales related activities for the Tampa Convention Center.
- Performs sales-related functions in support of the marketing plan which includes: the solicitation of clients and conducting follow-up actions to develop booking dates; quoting rates, researching potential clients, and initiating formal agreements; and handling pre-event correspondence and meetings.
- Assists in developing the basic sales plan to include advertising, special incentives and awareness of industry trends.
- Researches and provides accurate account information to all departments in the Convention Center from lease agreement information to account details on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis as required.
- Exercising initiative and independent judgment as well as tact and courtesy while working in accordance with established guidelines.
- Acts as a liaison with public and private agencies that support the Tampa Convention Center.
- Working on weekends, during irregular hours and traveling overnight may be required.
- Prepare complete client history and develop accurate event profiles on the details of the sales process.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Prompt follow-up on leads to secure business for the Tampa Convention Center.
- Talking with prospective clients to gain details on their individual needs.
- Evaluating the Tampa Convention Center “Reservations Book” for open dates and formulating a plan for filling available space.
- Responding to multiple requests for sales proposals and lead inquiries at one time. Effective multi-tasking is critical.
- Working closely with other members of the sales staff, other hotel sales staffs, and the convention and visitors bureau to produce joint bid opportunities for the destination.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Overall knowledge of the hospitality industry and the Tampa Bay Area as a destination.
- Comprehensive knowledge of convention center sales and/or closely related sales experience.
- Experience in successfully selling intangible products or services.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate both orally and in writing with prospective clients, Tampa Convention Center’s management and employees, as well as other industry partners.
- Effective listening skills, consultation skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Effective negotiation and closing skills.
- Ability to prepare reports, proposals and document details to other operational departments.
- Ability to work independently, use initiative and be passionate about the entire sales process.
- Ability to devise creative solutions and the ability to sell those ideas to others.
- Ability to solicit (i.e. cold call) customers via telephone or in person with a plan of action developed through good preparation.
- Ability to research and analyze a potential piece of business from available information and formulate a plan of action that will lead to a successful outcome.
- Ability to conduct site tours and sales presentations in front of large groups.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, marketing, sales, hotel/restaurant management or a related field and one (1) year of experience in sales and marketing relating to convention or other meeting facilities; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Preferred areas of study would be in business administration, sales, and/or hotel/ restaurant management.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment medical examinations.
TO APPLY: be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 20, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/20/2014 will not be processed.