(025) $18.52 - $26.37 an hour     $38,521.60 - $54,849.60 a year|
JOB CODE: 003512
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will be responsible for performing the chemical, physical and microbiological analyses required for operation of the Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Performing bacteriological, biological, and chemical analysis of wastewater and sludge samples during various stages of processing.
- Analyzing wastewater and sludge samples as specified in the plant discharge permit for regulatory compliance reporting purposes.
- Testing samples for chlorine, alkalinity, ammonia, sulfates, chlorides, BOD/CBOD, TKN, total suspended solids, total solids, total dissolved solids, volatile acids, volatile solids, and specific conductivity.
- Taking pH of influent, effluent, digesters, raw sludge, etc.
- Analyzing liquid oxygen for the presence of acetylene.
- Conducting bacteriological tests, reading culture plates, and identifying organisms present.
- Preparing and sterilizing equipment, solutions, media, and reagents for chemical, biological, and/or bacteriological sampling, testing, and analysis.
- Using the laboratory information management system to carry out and complete assignments.
- Complying with the laboratory Quality Manual standards, procedures and policies.
- Cleaning laboratory; checking and cleaning equipment used; performing maintenance of equipment.
- Training others in standard operating procedures.
- Performing related work as required.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment utilized in laboratory testing analysis;
- Knowledge of sampling, testing, and analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of chemical and/or biological analysis; water quality monitoring procedures.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards, appropriate precautions and methods of promoting safety.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and prepare reports.
- Ability to operate and maintain laboratory testing and analysis equipment; interpret basic scientific data.
- Ability to work a rotating shift schedule that includes weekends, holidays and early morning sample receiving duties.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of laboratory testing and analysis equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited high school, supplemented by college courses in chemistry, bacteriology or biology, and one (1) year experience in laboratory work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing. Selected candidate must pass a federal background check for Port of Tampa access.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 7, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/7/2014 will not be processed.