(S23) $74,963.20 - $112,444.80 a year|
BENEFITS: Health, vision, dental, and life insurance; annual and sick leave; paid holidays; pension and tax-deferred compensation (457) plans; and more.
JOB PURPOSE: The selected candidate will provide supervisory direction and perform construction engineering functions associated with major capital improvement construction projects.
- Plans, organizes and directs the inspection of a variety of types of capital improvement projects for conformance with contract specifications, ordinances and regulations including but not limited to transportation and utility infrastructure projects, multi-store parking garages, bridges, parks, various public use building types, major demolition projects, water and sewer utility installation work, and roadways to ensure that work is performed in adherence with contract specifications, ordinances, regulations as well as with standards relating to workmanship, materials, construction process and safety;
- Directs the inspection of private development work on utilities, roadways, and other projects that will connect to city infrastructure or that the city will accept as right-of-way or city infrastructure when the development is completed;
- Directs inspectors in ensuring contractors and others comply with requirements of various permits that govern work impact, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFMD), Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), etc.
- Directs staff in dealing with unforeseen construction conditions and conflicts; reviews notice of non-conformance letters from inspectors to contractors when problems arise;
- Reviews and discusses methods to correct problems encountered in the field and approves proposals of inspectors for field adjustments to projects;
- Negotiates corrections and reasonable cost alternatives with contractors, architects, etc. for work completion;
- Coordinates with inspectors in an effort to ensure projects remain on schedule and within fiscal requirements;
- Submits requests for change orders when projects require significant time, cost or other adjustment; directs staff engaged in the operation of a testing laboratory and the use of private testing agencies to ensure that materials utilized in construction projects meet standards of quality and workmanship.
- Reviews documentation submitted by inspection staff with respect to project work progress, maintenance of traffic issues, and other construction related problems;
- Reviews proposed payments to contractors based on reports of inspectors on quantity of materials, personnel and other relevant cost items;
- Ensures that inspection staff and contractors communicate with business and citizens impacted by construction issues such as traffic flow, parking, detours, etc.
- Exercises general supervision over and participates in the training of professional, sub-professional, technical and clerical personnel;
- Completes evaluations, approves leave and training requests; administers discipline when needed; responds to grievances.
- Conducts studies and prepares periodic and special reports; coordinates same in the department and other city departments, utility agencies, contractors, engineering firms, and governmental agencies.
- Performs related work as required.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Extensive knowledge of: engineering and construction principles and practices as applied to the construction of public works and utilities infrastructure; methods and techniques of construction inspection and materials testing processes; federal, state and municipal rules, regulations, ordinances, and other pertinent documents.
Considerable knowledge of: engineering and administrative management procedures, practices, and methods; supervisory techniques.
Ability to: plan and direct the supervision and inspection of engineering projects to determine compliance with plans and specifications; analyze plans, specifications and other technical materials and draw sound conclusions; organize in report form and effectively present sound recommendations, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, engineers, architects and the public.
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelorís degree in engineering, preferably in construction engineering, and five (5) years progressively responsible related experience, including three (3) years of supervisory experience, OR an associateís degree and seven (7) years progressively responsible experience in the development and administration of capital improvement projects, including five (5) years of experience in utility and engineering architectural project coordination and including five (5) years of supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: Possession of a valid Florida driverís license.
EXAMINATION: Evaluation of training and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: To be considered for this position, applications must be received or postmarked by the closing date of August 27, 2014. Applications received or postmarked after the closing date will not be processed.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register as a MyTampaGov member before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Note: Applications must be received or postmarked by the
closing date. Applications received or postmarked after
8/27/2014 will not be processed.